27 October 2009

Enjoyable homework

After more than a month of hustle and bustle, at last I can find some time to finish my "homework" prescribed by Savio. There is one left, the review on B4 1874 version discs. But this should be finished in one or two days.

I can also start my "Memories" series of posts.

Further I could squeeze some time to attend the HKPO concert conducted by Gennadi Rozhdestvensky. His son, Sasha, played the Beethoven violin concerto. The second half was Shostakovich Symphony No. 10. The Beethoven concerto lasted almost an hour, but some reviewers said they liked this broad tempo. Sasha was mediocre at best, but most of the audience were so thrilled that they enticed him to an encore.

The Shostakovich Tenth showed the committed playing of the HKPO and the mastery of the Maestro. Savio was so enthralled that he declared this symphony becoming the best symphony under the baton of Gennadi. As I've never been attuned to Shostakovich's symphonies, I'm bound to be biased. My short answer to him was "blessings upon you" for he could find and experience something in life that he could rejoice from the bottom of his heart, which is something verging on a luxury these days when people became so blase as to dismiss even a blaze of wonderful music making before them.

Many exciting new CDs to come, and I still haven't finished listening to the glorious Wand/DSO set. Oh dear!

No comments:

Post a Comment