23 April 2011

My Favourite Bruckner Recordings

Before the Easter holidays, one of my friends asked me, "Why didn't you have a list of your favourite Bruckner recordings on your blog, as you've already had a list for Beethoven symphonies?" Oh yes, and I just couldn't answer. I've never thought of this question, and in retrospect, it is indeed strange that a downright Bruckner fanatic like me has never kept a list of my favourite Bruckner symphonies recordings, not to speak of telling it to others. Of course there must be some recordings or concerts that occupy a special place in my heart, but the problem is, I've never systematically made up a favourite list. I've come to like many recordings, but I seldom think about my top 5 or top 10 in any symphonies, maybe because I thought I didn't have to. Now the situation has changed. This has something to do with the storage of my CDs. I place my Bruckner CDs in three different cabinets. Most of the collection is in 4 shelves fully packed according to conductors in alphabetical order.  However as Furtwängler is considered sui generis, his CDs have their own shelf in another cabinet. Then there is a shelf in a large book cabinet with glass doors in the sitting room dedicated for special categories: Bruckner recordings with the Wiener Philharmoniker and box-sets and separate CDs by my favourite Brucknerians, e.g. Sinopoli, Wand, Karajan, Celibidache, and lately Blomstedt. It sounds and indeed looks confusing.

With all the terrible disasters happening in recent times, it becomes imperative that I need to place all my favourite Bruckner CDs in one place for the ease of evacuation just in case. And so the list. I'll take advantage of this "long" holiday of 4 days to compile this list, and at the same time backup these CDs. Not an easy task I can assure you.

No comments:

Post a Comment