03 December 2011

Music once again

I was so busy in the last two to three weeks that I could not pay much attention to this blog and, sadly, to music as well. However I didn't miss out on ordering some CDs for Christmas. Just-arrived items include the Audite RIAS box-sets of Klemperer and Knappertsbusch, Venzago's Bruckner 0&1, Blunier's Bruckner 8 and Bünte's Bruckner 7. Those in the mail include Abbado's 3 Pergolesi discs on DG Archiv (not new, but nonetheless eagerly awaiting) and Nezet-Seguin's new Bruckner 4. Now I can listen to music to my heart's content over the weekend.


I returned to the string orchestra version of Beethoven's op. 131 as my first sublime sojourn, one disc by Bernstein and the other by Previn. Then perhaps I can post some more blog entries.

It seems that record companies are quite desperate to make the most of money from their archives. Hot on the heels of EMI's Celibidache Munich recordings comes Wand's Berlin Philharmonic Bruckner packaged in a box-set to be released next month. Price-wise both are really attractive for those who haven't got them. The cover art is quite stylish.


Again, as I said before, Wand is truly ubiquitous.

Another happy thing is that this morning I got a ticket for a March 2012 BRSO concert of Bruckner 5, conducted by Daniel Harding, in the Hong Kong Arts Festival when counter booking first opened today.


4 comments:

  1. Well done, Horace. Something to eagerly anticipate for you, there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Karafan.
    Horace

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you find the Nezet-Seguin? To my ears it has similar virtues and vices to the Jansons B4.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mr Dodds,
    Sorry that I can't answer your question right now.
    I've just received the Nezet-Seguin B4 CD and haven't got time to listen to it. I'll post my impressions once I've done that.
    Best wishes,
    Horace

    ReplyDelete