13 March 2010

HQ CD -- Differences That I've Never Dreamt Of

When I came back to the Bruckner 7th by Matačić and the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, I mentioned the prompt of the HQ CD query from Savio. At that time I thought it might be a waste of money to buy a much more expensive HQ CD when I've already enjoyed this recording so much. But I believe Savio's ears, and he said after he's listened to the sampler he made up his mind to buy some of these HQ CDs. So I asked myself, why not take the plunge and try?

So here are the pictures of the pair, the "normal" CD alongside the new incarnation.




I quite like the discreet cover and back tray design, not falling into the trap of blandishing in large typeface the advantages of the new medium.

One fine Monday afternoon I listened to this new HQ CD using low-fi gears: a pair  of headphones with the disc played by a notebook computer via the Creative SB Digital Music SX connected by USB.  I started with the  "normal" CD first, then followed by the HQ one. The original CD has very good sound already, but the HQ CD has more definition in the strings sound and a firmer bass. This is not important, and I'm not particularly excited about it. However what went on was really eerie. My body was covered with goose bumps and then my eyes were wet but I was not crying. (That sounds quite similar to Artur Rubinstein's reaction when he attended Richter's concert.) Then came the sudden exclamation of "Oh, God" with a feeling of inevitability in the music. The music simply touched my heart. My heart strings were in resonance with it.

I didn't have many instances of these reactions when I listened to records as far as I can remember. Those that came quite naturally to my mind are the times when I listened to the  Funeral March in Furtwängler's wartime Eroica, and the long-held notes of the opening motif of Beethoven 5th in his first return to the BPO podium in 1947. As for Bruckner, it was when I first listened to the opening of Bruckner 4th by Wand and BPO in a sample excerpt provided by Gramophone. I can list a few more if I search my memory but does it have to?

This HQ CD all of a sudden becomes an indispensable part of my collection. I'm really blessed in this way. What else can I ask for?


No comments:

Post a Comment