16 March 2010

An enlivening path to re-tread (13) -- Karel Šejna's Dvořák Slavonic Dances


This is a much-treasured item in my collection. I have a soft spot for Czech classical music, be it related to composers, conductors or orchestras alike.

If I have to name only one best kept secret in the Czech classical scene, I'd unhesitantly vote for Karel Šejna. This recording of  Dvořák Slavonic Dances is the quintessential example of Czech classical music in its best. Rhythmic vitality, so important in these dances, and a natural sense of joy in the music making are very much evident here.  Even the great Talich is tamer here.

Experience it yourself if you come across this disc. I'm pretty sure that you won't regret it.

2 comments:

  1. ordered from jpc.de?
    I also make a large order with many box sets by Berlin Classics lately. The only bad thing is the fixed shipping cost of 13.99 that makes you want to buy more and more to make the most out of the shipping. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ntheson,

    No. I bought it many years ago in HK.
    You're spot on concerning the lure of a fixed shipping charge.

    Regards,
    Horace

    ReplyDelete