03 December 2009

Memories of the late Sviatoslav Richter

Sviatoslav Richter is one of the pianists I adore (therefore in my "A" list).

I started to collect his recordings some 20 years ago, and since then I have collected more than 200 of his CDs. From a mere admirer of his piano playing, I've become a collector of his recordings. But collecting his CDs is a daunting task, to say the least of it. According to the latest estimation, there have been about 800 different CDs of his performance, albeit some are duplicates of the same recording or performance. After cross-checking with his extensive discography, I think I've collected at least 90% of it. Just the collecting exercise itself is arduous toil. But the listening experience is an enjoyable and fulfilling one, and one that will remain in my mind for eons.

The following pictures show part of my collection according to record labels in chronological order of the year of issue.



 

 

 

 

 

 

 




 

 

 



 

 

 
Need to pick up on this label




 

 
The ephemeral TNC label




 

 


This is a never-ending journey.

One may notice that those common ones from Decca, EMI and DG are not shown. They can be available at cut-throat prices in the recently released box-sets.



2 comments:

  1. Horace - I recently acquired his M&A CD of Mozart sonata K283, Schubert's D575 and the Liszt Sonata from the 1966 Aldeburgh Festival. Fantastic interpretations - especially the Schubert!

    Best wishes
    Karafan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Karafan,

    Thanks for sharing with me. I presume this CD is M&A CD-600 taken from 2 concerts: 19 June for the Mozart sonata, and 21 June for the rest. The Mozart is also available on BBC Legends (BBL4092), in slightly better sound.

    Maybe it is high time we got these M&A Richter CDs whenever they are in sight as all of them have apprarently been deleted from the M&A catalogue.

    Best regards,
    Horace

    ReplyDelete