11 May 2011

My Favourite Bruckner Recordings (episode 4) -- Celibidache, Tintner and Wand

Sergiu Celibidache in his Munich years is a love-it or hate-it affair for Brucknerites, and opinions can be polarised. What cannot be argued is that his recordings in that era is in a league of his own.  My collection has been posted previously:

George Tintner was briefly discussed in episode 2. I was fortunate to have had an interview with him when he was in Hong Kong many years ago. His insight in Bruckner and his candid opinion on many past conductors gave me much pleasure when I listened to the tape of the interview again the other day. On that occasion I was honoured to have him autograph the three Bruckner CDs that had been issued at that time.



Günter Wand's Berlin Philharmonic recordings on SACDs have stunning sound. An indispensable part of my collection. The box and the cover art are both a pleasure to see and feel.

Five SACDs and one DVD: My Life, My Music.

Sometimes you just can't have too much of a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment