25 February 2014

More Bruckner from Günter Wand via Profil


Sometimes it seems that one can't have too much of a good thing. Profil is going to issue a second box-set of Günter Wand's NDR SO recordings. It contains 4 Bruckner symphonies: the Third recorded on 23/12/1985, the Seventh on 18/4 -21/4/1999, the Eighth on 30/4-3/5/2000 and the Ninth on 5/4-7/4/1998.

PH 12044

The 3rd has appeared on some pirate labels, and it is the only other Wand's NDR B3 recording besides the one from RCA/BMG (r. 1992).

The other 3 have never been issued.

Mouth-watering!

2 comments:

  1. I was fortunate to see ivan fischer playing the 9th with bfo. The orchestra sit like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q5JoIsJM_w&list=PLFE6908912862BFFB But the french horn and wagner tuba sit in the first row, in front of the conductor. Can you tell me why instrument stratification is different when playing bruckner?

    regards,
    eaquson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi eaquson,

      Long time no see. How are you?

      Your link displays only "This video is unavailable". However I can understand what you mean as I also attended Ivan Fischer's B9 concert in HK. This is the first time I've encountered such a placement of the French horns and Wagner tubas. I've talked with some Brucknerites in the UK, including the Editor of The Bruckner Journal, and they all said it was the first time they heard of this placement. My impression is that it is Fischer's own idea.

      In fact after the concert I've posted some comments on my Facebook page and since you ask I'll quote those comments in my next entry here in my blog.

      Best wishes,

      Horace

      Delete