18 July 2009

Gunter Wand's Bruckner CDs

Just now I took a look at my collection of Gunter Wand's Bruckner CDs. I've got nearly all of his "official" commercial releases from EMI/RCA/BMG, Profil and TDK (DVDs) except his 6th and 9th with Munich Pilharmonic. I have to go and get these two.

Wand is one of my favourite Bruckner conductors, and I've been to his performances with NDR at the Edinburgh Festival and his last appearance in Japan in November 2000. What experiences!

When one is getting to a certain age, these reminiscences will get more and more treasured and valued as an integral part of life.

The death of Celidibache, Wand, Giulini, Georg Tinter and Asahina has signalled the end of a golden era of Bruckner interpreters, IMHO. The remaining old guards are truly quite elderly: Haitink, Kurt Sanderling, Kurt Masur, and even Blomstedt and Sawallisch. How about Harnoncourt? Maazel? Well.... But surely I should not forget to include Michael Gielen in the list of old guards. Wish them all well.

Guiseppe Sinopoli is the one I missed most. I remembered very well his Brahms 4th with Staatskapelle Dresden and the brief talk to him after the performance. I never had the privilege to listen to his live Bruckner performances, and now it is all water under the bridge. He is one of those unsung heroes in Bruckner's discography.

For the past few days, I've been listening to the Tower Records Victor Heritage Collection of Asahina's old Bruckner recordings (NCS 631-634). These are CD re-issues of his recordings in the early 1980s which have hitherto only appeared in the LP format. Interesting recordings. My impressions later.

No comments:

Post a Comment