13 September 2009

Carlos Kleiber's "legendary" disc

Not that I'm against Carlos Kleiber, but I must confess that although I still enjoy listening to these 2 symphonies, I can only do so with some, if not much, reservation.

No doubt the rhythmic drive is almost without peers, and that means a little too much for my taste. Almost hard-driven at times.

For the Seventh, the Allegretto is unconvincingly underpowered compared with those in my favourite list.

This disc is exactly the case, in Fowler's scientific sense, of "the exception that proves the rule". Well, I mean the rule that Kleiber's recordings are always the best doesn't hold up well.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Wow!
    What wonderful place!
    I'm going to read all your posts...
    My (little) blog is about comparative discography too!, here:
    http://ipromesisposi.blogspot.com/
    You are welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much. Your blog is a very nice piece of work too.
    Horace

    ReplyDelete