08 September 2009

A happy happy day!

Less than a month ago I lamented that I lost a number of important Bruckner 5th CDs. Now they are all back. So now the Karajan and Celibidache ones are back to their homes (the full sets). The most important is the Asahina one, which cannot be replaced. It is out of print even in Japan.

Some extra finds as well: 7 Bruckner CDs by Altus (Bohm x1, Schuricht x3, Kna x2 and Richter x1). All the happier, shouldn't I? Even though I now have 2 copies of Harnoncourt's 5th and Bohm's 7th (Altus), how can I complain?

I also got back several sheets of notes I wrote during the comparisons of these versions of Bruckner 5ths.

Wonderful.

2 comments:

  1. What an enviable bruckner collection!
    I also find Skrowaczewski with Saarbrucken Radio sym orch's set quite gd. One of the best neglected set in recent years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ntheson,

    Thank you for your comments. I also like the Skrowaczewski cycle. The pity is that previously it was issued by Arte Nova in budget price, but now by OEHMS in mid- to full price. It was generally very well recorded with full-bodied sound. The rhythmic drive of Skrowaczewski's readings is very pleasing.
    The other budget set well-worth owning is the Tintner set by Naxos. His interpretation is cogent evidence of a true Brucknerian.

    Horace Lau

    ReplyDelete